Friday, September 30, 2011

WWJD....Truth or Trend?

Several years ago, someone started a little saying of " WWJD" (what would Jesus do), and it became so profound that there were all kinds of items made up with this saying on it. It was a very popular thing at that time.  Many people participated in it and sported the jewelry, shirts, cups, and what have you to make a statement.    ...... Then it suddenly just went away...The trend was over and something new took it's place.  I have heard since then, people joking about it, kind of making fun of how at one time, seemed like everyone was wearing something that said that.
I was thinking today,  maybe instead of looking at it as a trend ....a phase of life, if you will....maybe we should go back and reconsider it's true meaning.  Do we really stop, when we are about to do or say something, and think about it, or ask ourselves the question  " What would Jesus do?".  I don't think we do alot of times...myself included.   Sometimes when I hear somebody say something or tell a joke that's a little off color, I wonder, "what part do we not understand in the Bible, when Paul  tells us in Ephesians 4:29  " Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs,  that it may benefit those who listen." When we profess to be Christians.....Christ -like...... think about it.. Would Jesus tell an off color joke? or kind of fall in with the crowd and the way they are talking, just to blend in with the conversation?  Don't think He would. In fact, I'm sure He wouldn't.
What about the things we watch on tv? Now Jesus is with us all the time, and we know that, it's just we can't physcially see Him. But what if we could? Let's think about it for a minute, think about the things we watch. Are there any programs on tv that if Jesus knocked on our door, and we invited Him in to sit down, would we feel comfortable to continue to watch the program we were watching? Or would we hurry and change the channel? Guess what, that is exactly what is happening. He sees everything we watch. Are we a witness to our kids...what are we teaching them?  And do we go places that we wouldn't want Jesus to go with us...if we could actually physcially see Him beside us?
All these questions I continually ask myself....Now PLEASE....don't accuse me of trying to be soooooooo holy. If you're saying..."Well, Renee, you certainly are not perfect"  then you would be absolutely right!!  I am far from perfect!  Nothing special about me. I'm just another person who was lost in sin, gave my heart to God, failed Him so many times, backslid on Him before, made bad mistakes, then rededicated my life to Him, at times have been lukewarm, at times disobeyed His will, then asked His forgiveness, received it, and now I struggle like everyone else...every day...to make the right choices, do the right things, say the right things, watch what I do, and try my best to be pleasing to Him.  My Daddy has always told me that if Jesus wouldn't do it, or say it.....we shouldn't either.  I have been told a lot of times, "Yes but Jesus was the only man to ever walk on this earth that was perfect."  That's true, and no matter how hard we try, we will never be perfect until Jesus takes us to Heaven, then we will be made anew, but while we are here, isn't  it worth trying to be as pleasing to God as we can? 
I struggle every day with a situation that I could easily let so much hatred build up in me, and  believe me it's hard to forgive, but I have to ask God for strength to not hate, but to pray for them...and that's not easy, but that's what Jesus wants me to do. And I want to please Him, so I have to. Very hard for me....I am not perfect as I'm well aware of.
So maybe we need to keep that little saying in our hearts daily, with every thing we face, everything we battle with.........What Would  Jesus Do?......we can only do what the Bible tells us to do, what we feel Jesus wants and expects us to do, our best......   I fail so many times, but the truth is, as I've heard a lot ot times, "the only time we fail is when we don't get back up......or when we don't try".
I've been praying today, talking to God, asking Him questions, and this is what's been on my heart. You may agree.....you may disagree.  It's okay.  I just write what I feel in my heart that God is telling me to write.    Have a great weekend......  ~Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment