Monday, November 28, 2011

Who Is My Neighbor?

This morning, as I was getting ready for church, I was praying asking God what He wanted me to put on here. I read several scriptures but nothing was laid on my heart. As the day went on, I realized why. Let me share it with you:
I had baked some bread yesterday, and David and I thought about a couple of people that we wanted to share it with. We shared with a neighbor yesterday, and then God laid it on David's heart another family He wanted us to share a loaf with. Which left us with two loaves. This morning the Lord laid two more people on my heart to share the other two loaves with. So I put them in a bag and we headed off to church.
When we got to church, two of the families were there that God had laid on our hearts, but one person was not. So after church, we gave the two loaves to the families, then asked a friend to go eat with us and we sat and enjoyed some good fellowship for about 2 hours. When we left to go home, David was just kind of riding around town, and all of a sudden he said, "Do you want to just turn here and head on home?" I told him that would be fine, whatever he wanted to do. Now when we turned, and headed down this street, on the right hand side of the road, there was a woman walking, she had her head down, and as she started across the road, a car turned and went right in front of her and almost hit her. The woman never looked up....she just kept walking as if she didn't really care if she got hit or not.  I looked at David and as we passed her, I turned around in my seat and looked at her and on her face was the saddest, most lost look in her eyes I have ever seen. My heart just broke for her.... David looked at me and said, "Do you want to give her this loaf of bread?" I looked at him and told him that she probably wouldn't take it because she didn't know us. We drove on a ways and the whole time in my heart, God was asking me "So, that's it? You're not going to give it to her? You're just going to go on by?" I battled in my mind saying " God I don't know her." All of a sudden, David just pulled over and turned around and headed back. I asked him if he was going to go back to her and he said yes. When we pulled up to her, I asked her if she liked banana nut bread? She walked over to the car and said "I don't know....I guess" I told her that God wanted me to give her this bread and He wanted me to tell her He loves her. She kind of smiled and said "Okay" David told her God loved her and wanted to bless her. She looked at us, kind of smiled again, and backed away from the car with the bag of bread. After we drove off, I, in my mind, asked God if that bread was meant for this lady, why did He tell me this morning to take it to the other person at church? God then let me see the clear picture. He knows how we think, and He knows how to work things so we will obey Him. He laid it on my heart to bring that bread this morning, even though He knew this other person would not be at church, He knew this woman would be on the side of the road, probably feeling like no one cared about her. I said, "I see it God! I understand!" God is so amazing! He truely works in mysterious ways...His wonders to perform! As we drove on home, we talked about it and the scripture came to my mind in Hebrews 13: 1-2 and it says "Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it."
This morning, when I was getting ready for church, and I was praying, God reminded me to love my neighbor, and I said, "Yes God, I know." He then asked me, "And who is your neighbor Renee?" And I answered, "Those around me, and then I answered, God, anyone who is in need, that's who my neighbor is." God was preparing me for what He wanted me and David to do this afternoon. Praise God!!!

We never had any idea what was going to happen this afternoon, but God began this morning preparing our hearts for it. Be careful....let's love our neighbor...Who is our neighbor? Anyone in need because in it, we may entertain angels unaware! I don't know this woman's name, but God does and I pray He helps her. God bless all of you and I pray He uses you this week to help or witness to someone along the way.

1 comment:

  1. that was a kind deed, renee. you may never know how your actions may have helped. the bread was probably all the woman may have had to eat that day.

    ReplyDelete